So, things went better than usual. This time, they gave Ashtyn a liquid concoction of sedatives and had us take her out into the waiting room for about 45 minutes to let it kick in. Ashtyn was acting a little goofy but it did not seem to phase her all that much. The dentist told us that they would also use the laughing gas on her and hopefully that would calm her down enough to at least take care of her baby root canal and crown they needed to put on. There was also about 3 teeth that needed fillings, the dentist said if she fought them, they would only do the bad tooth and the rest would have to wait until the next appointment.
I walked Ashtyn back and she refused to put on the gas, she held onto me for dear life and was screaming, they had put her into a special, small office with sound-proof doors so she would not disturb the other patients. They asked me to leave since some kids do better without the parents there. I left and about 10 minutes later, the dentist took me aside and they had gotten the gas on her and she was calming down, he told me that she was calm for now, but that she seemed like she had a strong will and strong personality so he was not sure if she would freak out when he gave her the shots to numb her mouth. He said if she got too wild, they would have to put a "wrap" on her to keep her hands down, he asked me if this was a problem and I said, "No" After all, we needed to do whatever we could so that we did not have to pay for an expensive surgery just because Ashtyn was behaving badly.
I went and waited with Tyson and about 30 minutes later, they brought me back and said they did have to use the wrap, but that they had been able to do the root canal and the crown and that she needed to come back in 3 months because she was just too difficult to finish the work. He said in 3 months, if her behavior hasn't changed significantly, they would have to put her to sleep. I was just glad they had fixed the bad tooth for now, but I am going to work SO hard in the next 3 months so that we can get this dental work out of the way.
I feel like such a bad parent, I mean, we do have our kids brush their teeth every night, but we were never crazy sticklers for it. I regret that. I am a stickler now, you better believe it! I learned important lessons today, very important lessons.
1 comment:
No you are doing what you are suppossed to. Kids are just difficult sometimes. Don't feel bad at least you are getting her teeth fixed so she won't have to get them all pulled. That happens alot and it's really sad to see at such a young age.
Post a Comment