
I am half-asleep, walking down the insanely crammed aisles of the local super-center. I don’t like shopping at Wal-Mart for two reasons, one is, it is always so crowded with large families wielding their carts in front of them as if it were a shield against some monster that would like to see them mamed. And they use it as such also. I have been attacked by one of those metal contraptions on more occasions than I care to count. The second reason, and the most important, is that I really dislike the company itself. Wal-mart has put so many hard-working small businesses out of business and it makes me mad. Not mad enough to stop shopping there, obviously. Maybe it makes me a hypocrite, but c’mon people, we’re in a recession and I need to get the everyday low prices that Wal-mart guarantees, but I do not condone their shananigans, not one bit.
As I am feeling an anxiety attack coming on because I am surrounded by these stupid, clue-less people that too often stop their damn carts in the middle of an aisle to chit chat with a familiar face, "MOVE WITH THE GROCERY STORE TRAFFIC LADY!!" Of course I don’t say it because that is the last thing I need is a brawl in the middle of grocery shopping. after all, everyone should know and have memorized the flow of grocery store traffic by now!! Needless to say, I am annoyed as hell.
Then I see it. I see my ultimate guilty pleasure in all of its glory sitting there on its throne. In fact, there is a few of them to choose from, they all tell the same stories, but they all have a different variation of the made-up story and they are all equally intriguing to me. Some people choose from them, but not me, I buy EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM. Oh yeah! I am not even the slightest bit embarrassed as the cashier checks me out. Okay, maybe a little bit, I always tell her the same old story, “I buy them for the crossword puzzles.” I tell the same lie that my husband tells me every time I catch him reading one.
The celebrity gossip magazines are like therapy to me. I don’t know what it is. Could it be that I like to see even celebrities have misfortune? Drama? Or is it something truly more diabolical? Who knows. All I know is that it is the one thing I look forward to every Friday as I finish shopping. I get that old fashioned feeling and excitement when I see a new face on the front followed by a crazy headline. This is what my life has come to, at least my Fridays. And I don’t care how bad it sounds! I have no intention of changing my ways or bettering myself to stop looking at them. Long live the gossip!!
6 comments:
I think the most common guilty pleasure is this one! It's mine too.
I bought that exact Us Weekly magazine because I feel horrible for Jillian, I was totally hoping Ed would be picked and now I feel betrayed too! I hope its not true. I really wanted Jillian to find true love.
Here here! Keep the gossip coming!
I agree on so many different levels. I myself shop at Wal-Mart, when I need to get the essentials that come all to easy there, and avoid it if I am already having a bad day (the chance that I say something to someone who is blissfully ignorant is all too high if the day is already rough). Not so much a fan of buying the tabloids but I check them out at any chance I get. Very therapeutic.
I love it! So true in so many different ways!!!!
Im definitely guilty of this. I dont buy on a weekly basis but use others and discuss on nightly walks. Would that constitute an addict? lol
Post a Comment