It's MY blog and I'll brag if I want to!!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Big Love= Big Problems
Up until this last Sunday, I would watch Big Love because I though it was an interesting show and I didn't feel like it disrespected the LDS religion like people thought it did, up until this last episode. I posted on my Face book that I was watching Big Love as my status and a family member got extremely upset with me and posted in my wall that I was disrespecting her and all she stood for. I was totally shocked, I had not meant anything by the post, just what I was doing at the moment. I had not even watched the full episode yet with the endowment ceremony. I forgotten I had the status there still after I watched it and when I got this comment, I immediately took it down. I really did not mean to offend anyone by it. I will say that I was deeply offended by the episode because although I am not active, I am a member of the LDS church and throughout my experience I know that this ceremony is sacred to everyone in the church, you do not ask about it because it is something temple-worthy mormons get to experience. I did cancel my HBO subscription after the show aired. I apologize if the face book offended anyone, it was not my intention at all. I do think the makers of the show need to apologize and I think the ex mormon that gave them all the information should feel very ashamed of themselves! Please feel free to comment about your feelings regarding this subject.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I admire you, Kylie. Most people that I know that are inactive don't really care one way or another towards the temple and everything that goes on there. I'm glad you realize how sacred we view it and that you respect our feelings towards that and also view it as a sacred thing. That's how everyone should view each other's religions. We all need to respect those things that others see as sacred, and for the most part, Hollywood is good at that, but for some reason, when it comes to the LDS church, that doesn't hold true. Thanks for taking a stand.
Thanks Tricia, you are sweet!
P.S. Some people are saying that it was very accurate and nobody should be offended, but I disagree because it didn't have anything to do with that, It had to do with publicly airing a private ceremony that is dear to a lot of people's hearts.
Religion is such a personal subject and I am sorry that someone ridiculed you for a simple comment on your Facebook page that obviously made you feel guilty.
Kim makes a valid point. I did feel offended by the episode, but I was also defending myself in the blog because I was being publicly crucified online by a family member with horrible things that were attacking my character. So, yes I felt the need to defend myself on this blog. I feel so strongly that people need to respect others opinions and let each other be, especially when its family. So this blog post is personal, but at the same time, truthful of my feelings.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your status update. I would watch that show but I don't have HBO. I am sure I would have stopped after that episode, however. Here is my take on this. The media is liberal because whoever owns the media is liberal and can reach massive amounts of people to get their message through. I believe that they are waging war on our church because of our stance on gay marriage. Although we have the same views as most other christian denominations and frankly, most other people given the fact that it was voted down in the election held in California in which Mormons were a very small percentage voting it down. Some how we have become the scape goats. I guarantee all of the polygamist tid bits in the media are meant to make our church look weird because many, many people still associate polygamy with our church as Lane has found out while traveling for work. When speaking of polygamy they always make sure to throw a Book of Mormon line in there just to add to the confusion that many people still have about us. Anyway, just my opinion. But don't worry. I don't think you did anything wrong. Way to go standing up for the LDS church!
I'm deeply sadened by the comments made to you because of your choices. You have a right to watch the show and you did and formed a worth while oppinion. It's nothing to attack you for. Members attacking you about this would only make the Church look more judgemental when really it's the people , not the church.
It's too bad that judging was made off of what your doing. I wanted to view the show so I knew how to answer questions non-members are going to have. It's being done out of RESPECT for the gospel and being prepared for what may be asked.
I gave a talk awhile back on judging others. Your experiencing some of the unfortunate judging that is hurtful and with out knowing the intensions of your heart can't be made fairly. We are so quick to judge these days.
"We should limit our judgments to our own stewardship's. Whenever possible we should refrain from judging people until we have an adequate knowledge of the facts. So far as possible, we should judge circumstances rather than people. In all our judgments we should apply righteous standards. And, in all of this we must remember the command to forgive."
Elder Dallin H. Oaks
http://rochellesreasoning.blogspot.com/2008/06/bitterness-i-didnt-know-was-there.html
Kylie, No offense taken, I'm sorry you felt publicly crusified in public,attacked and judged that is mean. for simply watching this show. I'm even more sad it's from a member. Even if you were an active member and watched the show it'd not my place to judge you on it.
Kylie, know your loved and the gospel is pure but as humans we are not.
Post a Comment