I was not into the "Christmas Spirit" this season, until Christmas Eve, and I will tell you why. The most heartbreaking thing happened. Let me start with a little background...
Elliott and Sebastian moved in across the street recently with their single dad, Patrick, and their grandparents, Barbra and Gary. The boys are very cute, and very well-mannered and loving kids. The second I met them, they have been at my house playing with Ashtyn and Kai and they are the same ages. Elliott is 5 and Sebastian is 7. Their dad, Patrick and I instantly became good friends. Tyson, Patrick and I would sit outside for hours watching the kids play, we were able to get to know each other pretty well.
Christmas Eve started out like every other day, I slept in a little and woke up to the kids' voices downstairs. I could hear Elliott and Sebastian and I did not think anything of it since they are always at my house.
Tyson walked into the bedroom while I was getting ready and had a very disturbing look on his face... he then told me that the boys' Aunt brought them over and said that Patrick had a heart-attack and not to let them outside. I thought maybe Tyson had his information mixed up, so I got my shoes and told the kids I was getting the mail, I ran across the street to see if what was going on, I saw 2 ambulances and 2 fire trucks. Patrick was being wheeled out of the house, he was 38 years old and had a fatal heart attack.
We had the boys all day and we took them to the park and made sure that they knew nothing of what had happened. It was SO hard to hold my composure, these boys have really made their way into my heart and I thought about when I was 5 and lost my mother. They knew something wasn't completely normal, but they did not know what. We played with them and I hugged them extra tight, but for the most part, I acted as normal as I could. Kai and Ashtyn were a good distraction for them.
A few hours later, their grandpa Gary asked me if I would help them tell the boys about their daddy since I had grown so close to the boys and they trust me. I agreed, I cannot even go into detail about how heartbreaking this was to do. I literally witnessed two little hearts break in front of my eyes. Since Christmas Eve, I have been with these boys while their family flies in from around the country and plans the services. It is hard to know what to say and what not to say. I have tried to answer their questions the best that I can, but every question breaks my heart. "Why did daddy go to Kevin (heaven)? Is there food in Kevin? I am sad that my daddy died." I could go on, but can't :(
Please, please, pray for these sweet boys. They are so precious and so smart and such amazing little people, I feel blessed that I was able to know their daddy and have them in my life. They are at my house everyday and I feel as though I have two more sons added to my little family.
I really learned a lot this Christmas, mostly to be grateful for what I have, truly grateful, and to give service to others is the most fulfilling thing you can ever do.
7 comments:
Kylie, Only God knows why and I believe you are meant to be in these boys lives. You truely understand what they are going through and your love and compassion will help them. I will keep them in my prayers.
love to you all.
So heart breaking...This story makes me so sad, but I'm glad that they have you in their lives
I can't beleive that, I'm so sorry! How lucky they are to have you. I don't know what else to say.
Kylie..... where to start. I cant imagine what you are going through. As a mother how close to home this must hit you. Im so sorry for those two boys....wow.... I cant imagine how hard that was for you to tell them.... my heart is aching readin this story. Im so proud of you for doing what you can to help. What an honor to be in your shoes though, knowing that Heavenly Father needed you for this time in thier lives. Wow...... I feel speechless. I admire your strength. let me know how i can help....please. youhave been through a lot over this month. Im so sick for those kids, this holiday will never be the same for them. man.... im so sad.
i love you friend. thanks for being such a great example. call me if you need to talk. its my turn to be there for you.
love ya, Amera
Kylie---You rock! You are my hero! Thank you for sharing this. Those little guys will be in my prayers. Love ya!!!
Kylie---you rock! Thanks for sharing this. Those little boys will be in our prayers.
Hi Ky,
I am really sorry I didn't know about this story. I'm also sorry that I wasn't able to call you on Christmas so you could tell me. We were traveling the entire day, but still not excuse. I believe everything happens for a reason. There was truly a reason you lived across the street and were able to be there for these sweet little boys. Love you, Kylie. xoxo
Post a Comment