As you all know, my cousin, Rochelle, and I have been reading the Book of Mormon. Although she lives in Oregon, we read together over the phone. If, for some reason, we cannot read on the phone or we are not both ready to read at the same time, we just text each other where we are at and the other catches up. Well, WE FINISHED READING LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! We started January 6th and finished at 1 AM last night, so technically, March 6th. Something we thought would take us 90 days, we did in 60.
We did not rush it, we were not trying to finish reading it faster than our goal, we just were SO into it. I mean, I prayed every night that I would be able to keep the desire to read because I was truly worried that it would fizzle out and I would lose all my motivation. That did not happen. I was so excited to read and so excited to find out what happened next. It was like when you cannot put the book down, last night was like that and when we finished reading, we both cried. We cried because we had reached our goal and it felt so good, we cried because it was over and it had been such a special experience for us both. I decided that it does not need to end, so we are starting Doctrine and Covenants soon. I need to learn about Joseph Smith, I know little about him. I have to share some of my favorite BOM stories.
In no particular order;
~ The story of Abinandi. I loved this story and it made me so sad to think of Abinadi standing up for what he believed in even when he was threatened with death by fire. It was an amazing example of courage and faith.
~ Samuel the Lamanite, another example of courage. When he stood upon that wall and tried to tell the wicked people that they needed to repent or witness the wrath of God. They tried to kill him with arrows and swords, but nothing could touch him because he was protected by God.
~ The brother of Jared, he had so much faith in the Lord, that he was able to see him in person. I want to know why they do not say his name though. I am sure there is some reason why they do not say his name.
~ King Benjamin and King Moroni were two of my favorite kings. They both lead by example and were such wonderful leaders.
~ Alma the younger, this man is a wonderful example of repentance and how no matter what negative place you are in your life, you can always repent and change things around for yourself and become a better person. Not just for your own sake, but for everyone around you.
I have learned that the gospel is such a positive thing to have in your life. It is all good, and all good things are of God. Nothing evil can come from God, just like nothing good can come from evil. God blessed us all to know right from wrong and if we just strive every day to live the commandments and to be like Christ, we will receive eternal life. That is the one thing I want more than anything, for me and for my family.
Thank you Rochelle for sharing this experience with me. Now, onto the Doctrine and Covenants... :)
5 comments:
Good job! That's awesome! It's an amazing book, huh?
I am so proud of you. Terrific example - it is hard for me to read the BOM in 6 months let alone 60 days. You are sparking the fire in people, especially me - we all need these little reminders. Happy Blessing Day this week ! :)
Kylie, you are a bright and shining light in this sometimes dark world. What a great example you are being to your family and friends. Can't wait to see you this weekend. Remind me to bring the Work and Glory books. I think you will love them.
GREAT JOB! I'm totally inspired to step up my game! I feel like such a slacker now!!
Kylie, you truly are an amazing person and example, thanks for sharing your journey with me and your testimony, I can feel the love of Christ shining through you as I read your testimony and stories. :) Your friend was talking about the Work and the Glory books, you should definately read,"The Fire of the Covenant" it is such a good book by the same author. It is only one book, and not a series, so I would start with that first. :)
Post a Comment