It's MY blog and I'll brag if I want to!!

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The REAL meaning of Christmas???



Something happened today that really made me feel like a failure as a mother. The past few days, I have been thinking about our Christmases as a family and have really been realizing that each year, we are missing a VITAL part of the holiday.... our Savior.

I talked to the Mister about it and he agreed with me 100%. We talked about ways to change this and how we can really get the true meaning of Christmas to be the focus this year and all of the years to follow. I wanted to gauge how much my children know of the nativity story so, after school, I sat Ashtyn down and asked her why she thinks we celebrate Christmas. Then, the unthinkable happened. Ashtyn shrugged. I decided to ask Kai to see if I would have better luck and not feel like a total failure. Kai looked at me and said, "we celebrate Christmas so the family can be together?" Then it REALLY hit me. How did I miss this? How have I managed to go through each Christmas and NOT teach my children the true meaning and how presents really have nothing to do with the real celebration at all.

It was a huge disappointment. And now, I have a bug project in front of me and I am excited to take it on. Saturday, we are going to the live nativity that the LDS church puts on every year. That'll be a start. If ANYONE has any cute ideas of ways I can keep the kids' attention while teaching them, please let me know.

Operation: Keep the CHRIST in CHRISTMAS, is in full swing!!! :)

No comments: